AprilleLegacy

Aprille Legacy

I'm a self-published author from South Australia. My first book, Soul Fire, is a YA fantasy romance.
SPOILER ALERT!

Article 5

Article 5 - Kristen Simmons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqwVzTD7jY&feature=share

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons disappointed me.

The main reason I bought this book was because the blurb did not have any mention of romance, something a book is apparently obligated to include to get published nowadays. However, by page 13, I ran across this:

That had been his house. The house of the boy I loved.

At which point I dropped the book into my lap and sighed. I had been duped.

Nevertheless, I pressed on, hoping against hope that at some point in this extremely boring, dystomance driven book, we would find out why America is the way it is. Or even what's going on in the rest of the world! As an Australian, I've discovered that American dystopians are only concerned with their own country, which is fair enough I suppose, but even a little line would help construct their world just a tad more. Something like:

Australia was a no go zone now, after the kangaroos evolved into the flesh eating carnivores that had devoured the 'g'day mates!' and all of the emu's. No, we left that hopping country of death alone.

I don't know. This book frustrated me.

Even in Wither by Lauren DeSteffano (which I actually liked because it was what it's blurb said it was!) the only explanation we got about the rest of the world was that it had been shattered into tiny little islands (which prompted much eye rolling despite my liking of it).

Ember as an MC pissed me off to no end. She destroyed everything she touched, got people killed and hurt, and then whined about Chase the whole frigging time! Leave the poor dude alone!

And why the hell did Chase go back for her in the first place!? That was never really explained except for the whole 'I've always loved you, Ember!'

WHY!? She's one of the most annoying women I've ever come across! She's dependent, irritating, stubborn and just downright frustrating.

Also, I'm getting so tired of the role reversals. Mothers are meant to care and worry for their children, not the other way around. Please stop trying to make us feel sympathy for a character who effectively got herself killed, and her daughter imprisoned and almost raped several times. Make the character a younger sister or something, but not a parental figure who probably shouldn't have a daughter anyway.

This book could have been bloody excellent. She almost delved into several issues which would have actually been interesting to read. The Sisters of Salvation didn't get nearly enough read time. The only time I actually felt some kind of emotion in the book was at the very beginning when Brock was around. The author proved she could make us hate a character; why didn't she use it?

Urgh. This book really was all over the place. There were so many characters that were left behind, never mentioned again, and the book didn't really have a plot to follow. I don't think I'll be reading Article 6, and I hope this doesn't get turned into a movie, though it inevitably will.

Two things that irked me:

If all pre-War material is banned, why are they still teaching history in schools?:

A girl with auburn hair and perky smile, who'd been in my junior history class last year.

By the way, we get more of a description of Katelyn Meadows (who's mentioned every second page for the beginning of the book) than we ever do of Ember.

Who the hell is President Scarboro?:

Mentioned twice and then never heard of again. Must be a pretty strong fellow if he managed to overthrow the country and begin all of this madness, but he's only ever mentioned in passing.