AprilleLegacy

Aprille Legacy

I'm a self-published author from South Australia. My first book, Soul Fire, is a YA fantasy romance.

This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers 2.5 stars

Would have been a star less if not for the ending.

I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities in this book. It got its message mixed up and seemed to forget it a lot.

Also, there was no logic to anything the group did. I get that they're teenagers and the apocalypse is still fairly fresh, so they're green. But after mentioning that the infected can hear and maintain some problem solving skills (bashing down doors to get at people if they know they're in a building) they decide to yell and scream at each other even after having zombies bash on the doors to get to them. Every argument (which is the same one over and over and over again, oi) has some kind of raised voice, or noise. Not the brightest.

Also, at the end of the book, Sloane turns on her phone to find an old text message. Now, I'm assuming this book is set in modern times where phone batteries are famously shit. How does her phone still have enough battery power to switch on? She mentions they've been in the school without power for eighteen days. I wish my phone battery was that good.

The last part (not sure why this book needed to be in parts, or why new chapters needed to be started at the bottom of the page - resulting in almost two blank pages every chapter... but this is just me whinging over formatting now) was the only thing that saved this book from 1.5 stars. It all turned to shit for them pretty quickly, and I think it says something about the book, that I enjoyed this part the most.